Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Surface Research and Destroy Step 3

For step 3 I took the DVD-R and put it in the microwave for 10 seconds to destroy it. Within the first seconds the DVD started sparkling and crackling. Once the 10 seconds seconds was over the DVD looked crackly and somewhat deformed. The radiation created lines lines going towards the center of the DVD in a pinwheel like way, and some of the plastic on in was raised in little bubbles. However the destruction in this case is not about the DVD itself but that the information on the DVD has been completely destroyed. The video I took of this was only 10 seconds long and once again I put that information from my memory card onto a new DVD-R then deleted it from my camera's memory so it only exists on the DVD.

This project has a lot to do with chain reactions and how to deal with how the destruction of one thing transforms the next piece. In my case although all the objects that are storing the information are being destroyed in different ways the constant is in the video, and that as long as the information is lost the project can keep going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment